[watch the followups... this is going to both the modperl
and the DBI list...]

Ed> each creates a network connection to DBI::ProxyServer, which
Ed> creates a few persistent connections to the db server using the
Ed> connect_cached method.

I hadn't noticed that until now.  Except I also noticed this...

           Note that the behaviour of this method differs in
           several respects from the behaviour of the presistent
           connections implemented by Apache::DBI.

Which scares me, but then doesn't go on to explain *what* those
"several respects" are.  While I didn't pay anything for the
documentation *or* DBI, so I should be grateful, this is the kind of
sentence that any editor looking over *my* stuff would flag with a big
"?". :) Never leave the reader with a sense of puzzlement -- either
don't say anything, finish the thought, or tell them where to read
more.

So, Tim, what *are* the differences, and when should we should we
choose Apache::DBI vs DBI->connect_cached, and why?