On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Tim Bunce wrote:
> But is that _really_ what PerlFreshRestart does? I thought it destroyed
> the entire perl interpreter before then recreating one from scratch?

this is the way PerlFreshRestart works at the moment.  the original
implementation did destroy the interpreter and re-compile everything from
scratch.  but perl_destruct() wasn't quite bug free at the time, the
current hack was put in it's place, which we found out later, isn't bug
free either.  we will do it the right way for 2.0, but in the meantime, a
complete shutdown and start of the server is the safest way to do a "fresh
restart".