Joshua,

Thanks for the advice.  I thought Apache::ASP was the cause of thrasing,
but you're right, the locking problem must be have been caused by an
overgrown swap file.  I don't know what might have caused it.  I just
rolled out the server (it's my first), today was the first day of
classes here at the university and it got hit hard.  I guess I should have
tested it better.  Well, back to the drawing board (er, testing board
:)...

Dmitry