We had to throw our sql onto another machine( 500Mhz PPIII/FreeBSD/MySQL )
over
the holidays and it
has been, in a word, awesome. Totally incredible. As long as the machines
are on the same network it works great and performance really was boosted
( ~2 million dynamic hits per day over the holidays, each hit doing at
least 1 database lookup and about 1 of every 8-10 is an update or insert
).

The only negative is that if the network between the mod_perl box and the
sql machine bogs down mod_perls remain open waiting for data from the SQL
and eats even more ram as children pop up to handle new requests. We
originally had our database and mod_perl on
seperate networks ( DOH! ) and when load hit we almost immediately jumped
into swap. Once they were chatting at 10MB/s everything was hunky dory and
I will now forever have a unqiue machine to handle SQL.

John-