I'm developing a site with a 'Salon' like structure. Its done with
templates worked in SSI by the design team that pull in Embperl
fragments. One of these Embperl fragments calls up a few mysql queries.

    I've got both an in-house testbed, rather crappy (p166, 64 MB,
RHLinux 5.2, apache  1.3.9) and the production server (which is not
mine, as I'm buying a hosting service). On he production machine, it
runs. My site has never been under heavy load and the machine is
overkill for the load they have.

    But in my production machine, using ab, I get horrible results. Just
trying
        ab -n 100 -c 10 http://10.10.10.10/

    takes more than one minute to solve it. It sometimes actually times
out.

    Now I know the SSI/Embperl solution is not the best choice in town.
But I get exactly the same problem in a set of pure Embperl+mysql pages
I've got, so I'm not quite liking it.

    What kind of performance improvemente may I get from using
Apache::DBI? Given that the code is modular, and I got a single handler
in all the site to 'open connection' and another to 'close connection',
could that module cure my pain without *serious* surgery?

    Or we should all forget of using Embperl->mysql under heavy
traffic?!

    Thanks!

ml