[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perrin Harkins) wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Joshua Chamas wrote:
>> I have updated the Hello World Web Application Benchmarks,
>> now at http://www.chamas.com/bench/
>
>I guess this is just my day to complain about benchmarks.  I find these
>benchmarks very confusing and not very useful.  Benchmarks done on
>different hardware can't be compared to tell anything about the relative
>speeds of different languages and development tools.

How about we come up with a "benchmark suite" that can be downloaded and run in
one shot on various platforms?  Given the variety of things that are being
tested, this might be too gargantuan a test, and perhaps a few things would
have to be cut from the suite.  But there are a few things like EmbPerl, Mason,
SSI, Registry, static HTML, etc. that could be compared pretty easily by
several people on the modperl list.

Not that I'm volunteering to take on this project, I've got a lot of work
backed up through my pipes right now. =)

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            The Math Forum