Hi,

    I've just got my apache/modperl setup to work. This little nastie
took me 2 days to find.

    In my /usr/src directory, I had:
        - apache_1.3.3 [dir]
        - apache_1.3.9 [dir]
        - mod_perl-1.21 [dir]

    and was compiling modperl/perl with:
        #perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=/usr/src/apache_1.3.9 DO_HTTPD=1
USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1 PERL_MARK_WHERE=1
APACI_ARGS=--enable-module=all
        #make && make test && make install

        and then a make install from apache_1.3.9

    This setup was consistently failing, or rather ...
        - if I added --enable-shared=max apache compiled and started
unless a call to mod_perl was made. If I tryed to load Embperl in
httpd.conf, httpd would not start, claiming that Apache::Constants was
not installed/found/whatever.
        - I upgraded perl, recompiled perl + all the perl modules I had
+ mod-perl + apache again. Several recompiles and shrieks.

    Now, today, with a fresh head, I noticed a little message when
making mod_perl, which said it was 'getting into ../apache_1.3.3'. So I
renamed the directory to be called old.apache_1.3.3 and recompiled.

    Voilá!

    So either my APACHE_SRC argument was wrong (I swear I read it in
Stas' Guide) or the Makefile was ignoring it...

    Sadly, I'm going holidays tonight, so I can't [and won't] stay here
to dissect Makefile.PL, but I thought it was nice to tell the list.

    Now if you find it was my mistake, one way or another, then please
forgive me for saying the bug was yours [whoever wrote the makefile]
when it was mine.

ml
    - Martin Langhoff @ S C I M  Multimedia Technology -
      - http://www.scim.net      | God is real until  -
      - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | declared integer   -