> Gerald Richter wrote:
> You can't keep Embperl from doing so, but that isn't really the problem. The
> problem is that you have to tell Apache to generate the error page for you.
> In a Apache::Registry script you can do this by
>
> sub notfound
>       {
>       return 404 ;
>       }
>
> but this isn't possible within a Embperl page. So either use
> Apache::Registry for that purpose, because you won't display any HTML
> anyway, or use your code above and generate your own errorpage, instead of
> let Apache do this for you. This should work quite well
>
> Gerald

I am returning HTML. Lots of it. My example was simply to illustrate my attempt
to return a 404. What follows may be a better way of communicating my
intentions.

[-
    # Do a lot of DBI stuff.

    .
    .
    .

    if ($records_not_found_so_I_cannot_generate_the_page) {
        $req_rec->status('404');
        exit;
    }

-]
<!-- Lot's of HTML -->

    .
    .
    .

But, I understand what you mean by having to return a 404.

I've managed to do redirects from Embperl by setting the status and adding
a Location header. I was hoping that I could do the same for a 404.

I suppose I am going to be told that I have to chain handlers and the like,
so I'll start reading the guide.

Wouldn't it be easier if there as a way to set the return value from within
Embperl?

Alan Gutierrez - [EMAIL PROTECTED]