Depending on your particular setup this will probably vary a bit. I'm a RedHat user &
find that the mod_perl DSO module makes my life a bit easier, although a majority of
mod_perl users roll their own, and swear by mod_perl's increased stability &
performance.;-)

I checked the "Apache Bible," and you should get a good start on getting your system
running by adding a couple of lines to your httpd.conf file, but use your own
particular directory structure.

**********EDIT the "httpd.conf" file by adding the following lines...

ScriptAlias /perl/ "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/"

Alias /perl/ /home/httpd/cgi-bin/
   <Location /perl>
     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlHandler Apache::Registry
     Options +ExecCGI
   </Location>
I use my setup to test, so I execute both mod_perl & standard perl scripts from the
same CGI directory...
Now, anything that is accessed as http://mysite.com/perl/perlscript.cgi will
run as a mod_perl script, and anything accessed as
http://mysite.com/cgi-bin/perlscript.cgi will run as a non_mod_perl script.
Use this setup only if you want to test
scripts as both normal cgi & mod_perl scripts, otherwise you'll need to point
the "Alias /perl/ /home/httpd/cgi-bin/" line & "ScriptAlias /perl/
"/home/httpd/cgi-bin/" line to point to another CGI directory of your choice.

Hope this helps!