I have experienced a similar problem using the RedHat binary RPMs for Apache
and mod_perl (more than one version of each software).  Apache bails out,
with no error logged when you have PerlModule Apache::DBI in the httpd.conf.
I've seen this for more than one version of Apache and mod_perl, on more
than one version of RedHat, with DBD for either mySQL or pgSQL.

Curiously, PerlModule Apache::DBI::DEBUG=1 starts up fine.  As a workaround,
starting up httpd with PerlModule Apache::DBI commented out, then
uncommenting, and reloading (ie hangup, not stop/start) httpd works fine
(and the persistent connections work fine too).

Compiling Apache/mod_perl from source, or mod_perl via apxs seem to work
fine in both cases.

Is this a RedHat thing?

Stuart