On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Paul Sullivan wrote:

> When attempting to use prepare_cached along with Apache::DBI, it
> returns this error once it has ran through each of the apache
> children.
>
> [Wed Apr 5 ...] [error] prepare_cached(...) statement handle
> DBI::st=HASH(0x8296788) is still active at /home/... line ...
>
> Is prepare_cached not recommended for use with mod_perl? If not, would
> could I possibly to do to correct the above error.

You could start by R'ing TFM.  This from perldoc DBI:

prepare_cached

             $sth = $dbh->prepare_cached($statement)
             $sth = $dbh->prepare_cached($statement, \%attr)
             $sth = $dbh->prepare_cached($statement, \%attr,
$allow_active)

           Like the prepare entry elsewhere in this
           document except that the statement handle returned will
           be stored in a hash associated with the $dbh. If
           another call is made to prepare_cached with the same
           parameter values then the corresponding cached $sth
           will be returned without contacting the database
           server.

           This caching can be useful in some applications but it
           can also cause problems and should be used with care.
           A warning will be generated if the cached $sth being
           returned is active (i.e., is a select that may still
           have data to be fetched) unless $allow_active is true.

           The cache can be accessed (and cleared) via the the
           CachedKids entry elsewhere in this documentattribute.

If you don't want the warning, you need to pass a true value as the
third argument to prepare_cached.

As usual, I recommend caching the database handles yourself in global
scalars somewhere, as calling the prepare_cached method has significant
overhead and is only slightly easier to use than doing it yourself.

-jwb