[EMAIL PROTECTED],

for a future project I'm in the need to support two different ways how our
web based service can be accessed:
1.) The traditional way: Handling user requests through a browser
2.) The "headless" way: Handling under-the-hood requests which basically
perform the same service as in 1, but without ever generating valid HTML.

Of course I want to write application logic only once and reuse it for both
scenarios above.

I looked at the various template/component systems (HTML::Mason, Embperl,
HTML::Template) and get the impression that all of them are very much fall
into category one, where they in some way or another expect to be driven
from a browser.
I checked into xmlrpc (http://www.xmlrpc.com) as a way to perform the
under-the-hood operation, but it seems to become aweful when trying to
integrate it with a mod_perl driven site using one of the
template/component systems.

What I'm basically planning to create is an application framework which
does not tie into the HTML generation process, but is invoked from a driver
that sends either browser-input or headless input to the application logic
and then filters the output to generate either headless responses (XML
probably) or HTML output.

Has anybody done somthing like this before? Are there any pointers you
mod_perl'ers want to share with me?

Thanks in advance
  Tobias Hoellrich, Adobe Systems