On 5/2/00 2:19 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
> 2. The other request is about the "Controlling and Monitoring the
> Server" chapter itself. Do you think that in addition to the existing
> items (see below) you/we want to see other things related to this chapter.
I'd be interested in seeing information on safe production updates in multi-server situations. Another interesting angle here would be how to get CVS to help with the process as much as possible.

I'd also like to see ideas on how to run maintenance on data without taking down the server. For example, I've got a number of 'clean-up daemons' (basically big SQL update statements that check the consistency in a MySQL database) that I'd like to run regularly, but some of which require an exclusive lock on the tables.

Finally, in the 'An Intentional Disabling of Live Scripts' section, I think a neater solution is to have an <IfDefine> in your .conf file, like:
<IfDefine maint>
    PerlHandler Construction
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine !maint>
    PerlHandler MyApp
</IfDefine>

An then create aliases which add -Dmaint to calls to httpd/apachectl during the maintenance process.