On Fri, 5 May 2000, Jeremy Howard wrote:

> At 01:28 PM 5/4/00 +0300, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >Two things:
> >
> >1) I'd better concentrate on improving the content and structure of the
> >Guide and will leave this search engine task to someone who needs to use
> >the Guide but find it unusable without the proper search engine.
> >
> >2) perl.apache.org doesn't have mod_perl installed, so it's better to use
> >some other site. I don't have any.
> >

> I'd be happy to host a search engine on my site. I'm not prepared to
> write one from scratch though, so if anyone has any suggestions of what
> the best 'off-the-shelf' solutions are I'd love to hear.

Thanks! Let's figure out what's the best one we want first :)

> One option is to use Google. Have a look at this link
>
><http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:perl.apache.org/guide/performance.html+%22mod_perl+guide%22&hl=en>
> (put it on one line, of course). It highlights the searched terms
> ('mod_perl' 'guide' in this case). Google doesn't allow searches within
> a site. However, if the same unique string were placed on each page of
> the guide, adding that string to the search query would only return hits
> from the guide. I think the best way to do this would be to create a
> custom search page that links to Google, and automatically includes the
> unique string in the request.

Yeah, it's a nice trick. The thing that defeats it a search engine, is
it's freshness. We cannot tell google to rehash the Guide when there is a
new version, and searching the outdated version is a bad idea.

> Of course, if there are any free search tools that provide this
> functionality and come with source, that would be even better!

So far, from the personal replies to me, htdig is the best solution given
that we stuff many anchors in the text so you could jump directly to the
right paragraph.

Keep on these ideas/tries coming. Thanks!

Stas Bekman             | JAm_pH    --    Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/      | mod_perl Guide  http://perl.apache.org/guide
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://perl.org    http://stason.org/TULARC/
http://singlesheaven.com| http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org