Yes,

we use our own url-rewriting implementation of Apache::Session::DBI -
we just use method calls instead of hrefs
($ui->a_href('page.html','querystring','other stuff') ) which whop a
key=<Apache::Sessionkey> into the query string.
In addition, to time out sessions we added a timestamp field to the
sessions database, and run a cron job or daemon to wipe out all the ones
over a certain age.