Ciao!

I am searching for the makings of a framework built around or within
mod_perl/Apache::DBI that supports the consistent update of a record
within a database.  Primarily I am wanting to ensure read/write
integrity between database accesses by the web client, meaning I wish to
ensure the record about to be updated meets the following criteria:

    1) It exists.  If it does not, perform an insert instead
    2) If it exists, check that it is unchanged from the time the web
       client first retrieved it for update.  If it has changed, throw
       an exception.  I do not want a "last update wins" situation.

This is being done in an mod_perl/embperl/Apache::DBI environment.

Suggestions or pointers to additional information would be greatly
appreciated.

Peace.