Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2000, Drew Taylor wrote:
>
> > The part that changes is the 'cloudstock' and '1'. However, I
> > occasionally (and not reliably) get a page from cloudstock.com using the
> > wiredstock.com scripts! On some debugging, I can verify that when this
> > happens the script has the wrong values. It seems that apache is
> > confused and sometimes serves the wrong script for the given domain!
>
> sounds like the 'variable won't stay shared' problem, see
> http://perl.apache.org/guide/
I have tried many things to solve this problem. Many thanks go to
Geoffrey Young who helped me privately (and clued me into a great
solution to another future maintenance problem as well!). In the end, I
have decided that it is Stronghold's fault. :-)

So I compiled and configured a seperate apache(1.3.12)/mod_perl(1.24) to
run the non-SSL sites. I also use PerlSerVar to determine the sitename
and siteID from within each VHost section. This enables me to alias a
common cgi-bin for all sites and have one set of scripts for everyone.
While I'm testing the new configuration, I'll turn PerlWarn On and see
if I get any of the "won't stay shared" messages.

Thus far, I haven't run into any problems with the new
server/configuration... I'm keeping fingers crossed. Thanks to those
people who suggested solutions.

--
Drew Taylor
Vialogix Communications, Inc.