Jason Bodnar wrote:

> Probably the best way to learn good OO Perl is to learn Java or C++. As
> Gunther said, other languages are much more strict so they force you to
> write good OO stuff. I had been programming with Perl 4 before Java came
> out and had never done any OO stuff. I actually argued against OO with a
> friend. I tried to learn Perl OO but it didn't click. I taught myself Java
> since it was the cool thing to do and then went back to Perl OO. I think my
> Perl OO is better from knowing Java first.
That is an interesting observation, but it makes perfect sense. I've
been reading a bit here and there about Java, so I guess this is one
more reason to finish "Thinking in Java".

> Definitely read the perltoot (Tom's OO Tutorial). I've heard alot of good
> things about Damian Conway's OO Perl book but I haven't read it myself. The
> advanced perl programming book has a nice section on OO. But, learning OO
> in a Java or C++ context would probably be the best way to start.
I'll third Damian's book. It is clear, concise, and VERY informative. It
has helped me (with no formal programming background) tremendously in
learning OO Perl and OO in general. A Must Read IMHO.

--
Drew Taylor
Vialogix Communications, Inc.