Hi,
I compiled modperl in the usual way:
in modperl 1.21 source:  perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1
apache 1.3.12 is at the same level.  I ran make and make install and
then make install in the apache source.  All goes in ok.  httpd -l
shows:
root@latin:/usr/local/apache/bin# ./httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_perl.c

the http.conf has AddModule mod_perl.c among others.  (do I need to call
it?)

I also have
# If the perl module is installed, this will be enabled.
PerlFreshRestart On
<IfModule mod_perl.c>
  Alias /mp/ /home/paul/pubhtml/mod_perl/
  <Location /usr/local/apache/htdocs/perl>
AllowOverride None
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
PerlSendHeader On
    Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
  </Location>
</IfModule>

in there.  However, ENV{MOD_PERL} returns false all the time, and mod
perl doesn't seem to be running.  Is there another test to see if it is
running?  can I trust the ENV var?  Any help offered will be
appreciated.  I need to get AxKit up and running to serve xml.  Thanks