not sure i understand this completely.
i am assuming that you want embperl to work
for only part of your site - yet it is handling for the
whole site.  if that's not what you meant - perhaps you
need to rephrase.

first of all - i think you need to use:
<Files ~ *\.shtml$>

OR
<FilesMatch *\.shtml$>

THEN,
either change the extension for the embperl stuff only
such as:  *.ep

OR

limit the embperl to a particular directory
<Directory /path/to/embperl/stuff>
   <FilesMatch *\.shtml$>
      stuff
   </FilesMatch>