hi all...

I'm not sure if some you remember the idea Vivek and Matt had about creating
a handler that mapped, say, http://localhost/Foo/doit to Foo->doit()

anyway, the relevant part of the thread, including some code, can be seen
here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=95598609306936&w=2

I was thinking of officially implementing the idea and wanted to get some
design feedback first...

My thoughts so far:

        * limit the response to content handling phase only (I'm not really
sure of what utility other phases would be anyway)

        * limit the top-level qualifier for the module that can be executed,
but give this control to the user.
          perhaps using PerlAddVar to allow only Apache::, Foo::, etc
modules only is safe enough?

        * if possible, I'd like to see it make some intelligent decisions
about whether it should take over the request.
          that is, perhaps move away from a <Location> restriction and try
to call Foo->doit() if the normal resoltion  /Foo/doit results in a 404.
I'm not sure how this would interact with mod_dir, but I guess it would also
depend on how folks want to use it...

        * do we want to default to handler()?  if so, what to try first:
Foo::doit->handler() or Foo->doit()

anyway, that's all for now...  feedback/thoughts welcome...

--Geoff