Well, as most of us know mod_perl doesn't really lend itself well to the
"hosted" world because of the way it operates.  However there is I think a
conceivable solution.  This might sound a little crazy (or a lot), but I've
been messing around with vmware, and it's really cool/stable.  One thought is
instead of hosting a "site" or a "machine" host a "virtual machine".  It might
be more economical to use one of those IBM s/who knows how many machines that
can run many many copies of linux internally for large hosts, but for a smaller
hosting service they might want to give VMWare a shot.  I have no personal
connection with VMware, but it is a really cool product and I have been testing
a lot of different things with it and it's VERY impressive.

Of course hosting on a virtual machine wouldn't be $40/month..., but at least
you _could_ have modperl and a machine of your own without paying the hefty
cost of a colocation service.  (You can restrict memory for each VM, and each
VM has bios and all that jazz..., check it out vmware.com)

Thanks,
Shane.

(Credit where credit is due: This was originally Josh Chamas's idea)