On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Andrew Chen wrote:
> > PerlRun already flushes everything, but from my understanding of it,
> > with PerlRunOnce Off mod_perl won't flush the packages that were loaded by
> > the CGIs.
>
> What makes you think they need to be flushed?  Are they things you wrote
> in-house that didn't follow the normal module conventions of package names
> and lexical variables?  If not, they shouldn't be a problem.

A lot of the code was written without really thinking about potential
future moves such as mod_perl. Because of this a lot of variables get used
without getting initialized-- that kind of thing. We've already observed
some little issues with the code that can be fixed with adding lines to
initialize the variables, but that is easier said than done with hundreds
(or more) of files.

> > Again, for the reason offered in the first paragraph, we don't want to be
> > cutting and pasting code to flush variables in *every* module we have,
> > because we really have a lot.
>
> You can actually do this from one place, iterating through a list of
> namespaces to flush.  Look at the code in
> Apache::PerlRun::flush_namepsace.  It's pretty easy.

We would still have to add code to every module, correct? Even though
there could be a central variable flushing module, all the other modules
would still want to call it. So although we may not be including the
flush_namespace code in every module, we will at least need to call them.

I look forward to your reply. Thanks for your input on this...

Andrew