Kenneth Lee wrote:

> See this link
>
> http://www.asptoday.com/articles/20000712.htm
>
> Paul Lindner wrote:
> >
> > Actually I think that Apache::ASP is coming right along with it's
> > support of XML and the underlying behaviors.

Thanks Paul, but there is always room for improvement eh? :)
So, I took a good read of ASP+ at the link above, and was
less than impressed, but could see how some of the things
would be useful.

ASP+ looks like its supposed to be backwards compatible with
ASP, so adding its features to Apache::ASP would seem like
something that could/should be done, with the right configuration
options, so that the runtime penalties of some of the features
wouldn't be at everyone's detriment.

Below is a list of features, and where I see them with respect
to Apache::ASP.  Those that "WILL BE DONE" just requires the
proper time & motivation for me to do.  Those that "COULD BE DONE"
I think we should wait on until the ASP+ standard is out of beta
and we can sort out the good from the bad.  I don't think we should
implement everything "just because", but thoughtfully take more
of a per need approach to these newer features.

--Joshua

ALREADY DONE
------------
- cookieless sessions, via SessionQueryParse config
- server farm session management, via StateDir NFS or other net mount
- sessions persist across server reboots, natural with StateDir

WILL BE DONE
------------
- auto fill HTML form field feature, probably via FormFill config
  or $Response->{FormFill} member being set, will look at how others
  do it first
- sessions stored in database, might implement via Apache::Session
- output caching, maybe with $Response->{Cache} member, need to
  do more research here

COULD BE DONE
-------------
- new events like Application_BeginRequest
   - Application_BeginRequest possibly same as Script_OnStart ?
- binding of form field names directly to variables in scripts
- new server side event model more like client side DOM scripting
    - onserverclick event for form fields
    - server side control binding is more HTMLish way of programming
- new <asp: ...> controls / tags
- support of SOAP and server side object access
- config.web configuration file, likely similar to .htaccess(?)
- global.asax instead of global.asa
    - Application_OnEnd/OnStart occuring after global.asax
      is modified
- state server properties
- per page configurable error page
- trace object, different method of debugging