is this the same as the Makefile.PL -b option?  Tim mentioned making that
the default in later versions, but that is what I have been using for a
while.  Hmmm...

> Unfortunately, this has the side effect of requiring you to set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load the libararies, and to my knowledge (not very
> much knowledge), there's no way to actually set this value back to 0,
> other than editing the script.
>
> So, either
> a) edit the script, don't use Oracle's build rule, and don't set
>    LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or
> b) use Oracle's build rule, and do set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

well LD_LIBRARY_PATH was set to $ORACLE_HOME/lib, but another suggested
adding $ORACLE_HOME/lib to /etc/ld.so.config, which seemed to work ok.

thanks for your input and help.

--Geoff