Alan Sparks writes:
 > My tests show that it often (can't be sure of always) occurs with a PDF
 > file.  BUT, it doesn't happen with NS Communicator and Acrobat Reader...
 > only the combo of IE and Acroread.
 >
 > I've long suspected that it had something to do with IE sniffing the data
 > stream to figure out the data type.  There's an old bug against IE that
 > mentioned that IE does sniff the data stream and use its own ideas in
 > deference to the stated MIME types and content dispositions sometimes.  I've
 > always wondered if that ties into this.

I would agree to this. I have also seen that for the Autodesk
Whip! Viewer. You need to give MSIE using the PDF plugin a filename
ending with .pdf whatsoever. It seems not sufficient to supply the
content-type and leave the URL to something like /files?give_me_my_pdf
(what I was doing with Apache::File).  MSIE (or the PDF plugin, I
don't know) then tries to find out the content type by itself using
the agent 'contype' and then issues a third request. All that seems
have nothing to do with Accept-Ranges and the like. It's really a
drag...

Dirk