Douglas> That gives me a 'Variable "$counter" may be unavailable at ./tst2 line 17.'
Douglas> warning. And its sort of obfuscated (to me, anyway). I'd probably do it this
Douglas> way:

Douglas> #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

Douglas> use strict;

Douglas> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
Douglas> use strict;

Douglas> for (1..3){
Douglas>     print "run: [time $_]\n";
Douglas>     run();
Douglas> }

Douglas> {
Douglas>  my $counter;

Douglas>  sub run {
Douglas>     $counter = 0;

Douglas>     print $counter,"\n";

Douglas>     increment_counter();
Douglas>     increment_counter();

Douglas>  }
Douglas>  sub increment_counter {
Douglas>        $counter++;
Douglas>        print "Counter is equal to $counter !\n";
Douglas>  }
Douglas> }

But *that* won't work inside the big subroutine created by
Apache::Registry (which is NOT the same as mod_perl, even though too
many people think so :), and that was the original point.  I'm
not sure the new code fixes it.  I think the problem is intractable,
or equivalent to the Travelling Salesman and the Farmer's Daughter
problem or something like that. :)