hi,

        i need to start a long-running script from either mod_perl or mod_cgi,
and I'm facing all the well-known issues: the apache child waits, until
it waits no longer (maybe because the browser itself chose to close the
TCP connection, maybe because of an internal timeout), and then the
script gets killed.

        there is no useful information to echo back to the user, besides
teloing him the script started ok.

        the problem is: while I'm familiar with the problems, but not with the
solutions. I've read that one possible solution is to use fork(), but I
have no experience with it, and not much understanding of its
implications, and after reading perlfunc I'm more confused than before.

        is there anyone kind enough to tell me where to start Reading TFM or
which particular FM contains useful leads?

        thanks!

martin