Could someone please explain to me why everybody seems so intent on having a mod_perl
handler fork in order to send mail? Why not just use the very common Net::SMTP package
which just talks on an SMTP socket to whatever mailhost you have (localhost or other).
There are other packages on CPAN which perhaps have more power, but still don't fork,
if that's what you need. Every benchmark I've done (quite a few ;-) shows that this is
far faster way of sending mail.

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that in general having a mod_perl
handler fork is a Bad Thing (tm).

(and of course there is even less danger with funky email addresses with shell
metacharacters that way, too)

I recall with some fondness Randal's "useless use of cat" awards - maybe we need to
create a "useless use of fork" award :-)

cheers

andrew