Dear Friends:

I'm running the following setup: Apache/1.3.12 , with FrontPage/4.0.4.3,
mod_perl/1.23, mod_ssl/2.6.3  with OpenSSL/0.9.5a on an Alpha 4100 box for
our Intranet.
One of the frontpage webs departments about to 'go live' has indicated that
there is a rather intrincate set of users/permissions that would have to be
in effect for different documents/subdirs. In the Frontpage model, this
would mean that a very large number of subwebs would have to be created.
All the content is pure HTML.
Is there any way that we could use an authentication modules under Apache::
, together with setting up a parallel authentication database? This would
let us keep using a 1 Frontpage model, along with a very flexible
permissions setup.
I must say that in terms of Apache:: modules, my only experience is with
Apache::Sandwich.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rafael Caceres