| Yes, perl doesn't reset the 'random generator initialized' status on
| fork, which it arguably should:

For normal perl I can agree that fork() doesn't do something magic with the
pseudo random generator and just makes an exact clone of everything. Most of
us will only do expicit fork() with a good reason and concept in mind.

But for mod_perl, things are different. It's not the perl fork() call, but
Apache doing that. Using fork() is known to be a bad practise in mod_perl.
As one can't control when Apache will fork() or kill a process, one can't
tell which child will deal with a particular requests, I think rand() should
line up and shouldn't be predictable also.

To my opinion, it's up to the mod_perl wrapper to take care of that.

Ime