According to martin langhoff:

>       this HTTP protocol (definition and actual implementation) question is
> making me mad. Will (and should) a cookie be valid withing the same
> host/domain/subdirectory when changing PORT numbers?

I think this depends on the browser (and its version number).  However
if you set up your front end proxy correctly it should be
completely invisible and the client browser should never see
a different hostname or port and cookies should continue to
work.

>       All my cookies have stopped working as soon as I've set my mod_perl
> apache on a high port with a proxying apache in port 80  [ see thread
> "AARRRGH! The Apache Proxy is not transparent wrt cookies!" ]

Be sure that you have set a ProxyPassReverse to match anything
that can be proxied even if you are using rewriterules to
do the actual proxy setup.  This will make the proxy server
fix any redirects that mention the backend port or location
(if different).  You also need to make sure you aren't mentioning
the local port in your own perl code or generating links that
show it.  If the port number shows up in your browser location
window, you have something wrong.

  Les Mikesell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]