i'm not an expert with this, but, a quick grep for your error in
the apache source (mine is still 1.3.9 ) and some digging yield:

./include/httpd.h:#define DEFAULT_LIMIT_REQUEST_FIELDSIZE 8190

so you're right, 8K is currently the apache limit. if you try to change this value in
the source code, you will probably also have to muck with IOBUFSIZE and
possibly other things as well.  IOBUFSIZE is 8192 and the
DEFAULT_LIMIT_REQUEST_FIELDSIZE is set to 2 bytes below that to make
room for the extra \r\n after the last header.

looks like you'll have to take responsibility for mucking with the apache source, or
sending smaller cookies and using some other techniques such as HIDDEN fields.

--
___cliff [EMAIL PROTECTED]http://www.genwax.com/