Adi wrote:

> martin langhoff wrote:
> >
> > Chris,
> >
> >         i'd bet my head a few months ago someone announced an apache::bench
> > module, that would take a log and run it as a benchmarking secuence of
> > HTTP requests. just get to the list archives and start searching with
> > benchmarks and logs. CPAN is your friend, also.
>
> It was HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench.  It is a Perl API to ab.  It doesn't take a
> log per se, it simply sends sequences of HTTP requests and benchmarks the
> results.  I'm sure you could very easily write a script to parse a log and then
> make a benchmarking run out of it.

Yes, I considered ab and I did find HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench, while
excellently
done and copiously documented, isn't quite what I need:

1) I want to spoof the IP addresses of the browsers (I just realized
that
   since I'm using mod_proxy_add_forward anyway, I can make the
requester
   script behave as a proxy; the rest is cookbook).  I can't find
provision
   for that in the interface for HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench.
2) Record the query parameters as well as the response's MD5 checksum
   directly in a database table on the fly.
3) The interface is more suited to setting up, then executing a batch
run
   programmatically, rather than replaying a log.

Having examined the ApacheBench.pm source, I don't see how I can make it
do
what I want by subclassing it.  Also the code is a little bit mystifying
me in that the last line in the execute method, "return $self->ab;" is
the
only mention of the class method "ab" in the entire file.  Obviously I
have
_much, much_ more to learn ... :)

--Christopher

Christopher L. Everett