On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
> [...]
> > - Don't use a proxy server for doling out bytes to slow clients; just set
> > the buffer on your sockets high enough to allow the server to dump the
> > page and move on.  This has been discussed here before, notably in this
> > post:
> >

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/grerdbrerdwul/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > The conclusion was that you could end up paying dearly for the lingeirng
> > close on the socket.
>
> Mr. Llima must do something I don't, because with real world
> requests I see a 15-20 to 1 ratio of mod_proxy/mod_perl processes at
> "my" site. And that is serving <500byte stuff.

I'm not following.  Everyone agrees that we don't want to have big
mod_perl processes waiting on slow clients.  The question is whether
tuning your socket buffer can provide the same benefits as a proxy server
and the conclusion so far is that it can't because of the lingering close
problem.  Are you saying something different?

- Perrin