Tim Bunce wrote:
> You could have a set of apache servers that are 'pure' DBI proxy servers.
> That is, they POST requests containing SQL (for prepare_cached) plus
> bind parameter values and return responses containing the results.
>
> Basically I'm proposing that apache be used as an alternative framework for
> DBI::ProxyServer. Almost all the marshaling code and higher level logic
> is already in DBI::ProxyServer and DBD::Proxy. Shouldn't be too hard to do
> and you'd gain in all sorts of ways.

I think this is a really good idea.  The thing is, any effort put into
this kind of thing right now feels like a throw away, because mod_perl
2.0 will solve the problem in the right way with real pooling of
database handles (and other objects) between threads.

Maybe it's time for DBD:: authors to start checking their code for
thread safety?

- Perrin