On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Tim Bunce wrote:

> > Sounds like just a CORBA/RPC type thing. Wouldn't you be better off using
> > CORBA::ORBit?
>
> Maybe. I dunno. I don't actually need this stuff, I just want there to
> be a solution out there for those that do. I'm waving my hands around
> and pointing in various directions hoping someone will _do_ something!

Hehe...

OK, lets think about exactly what is needed here then. I figure Doug's
Apache::DBIPool module (for mod_perl 2.0) is exactly the right
architecture:

        2 pools of connections (Busy and Waiting)
        New connections always taken from the head of Waiting
        Finished connections always replaced on the head of Waiting
        Threaded architecture (DBI::Oracle handles don't survive a fork)
                One thread for management
                One thread per connection once a handle has been supplied
        Some sort of timeout mechanism for connections if the pool is
fully allocated

Anything I've missed?

If we don't go the threaded route, we can't easily expand and contract the
connection pool I don't think - but I'd love to be proved wrong. Also an
entire Apache server for the connection pool would be too much - the
pre-forking server from the cookbook would be better. And it should even
work on Win32 now...

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **