At 02:05 PM 11/13/00 -0800, Ian Struble wrote:
>You can still get alot out of a proxy if you have a win32 box doing
>heavyweight mod_perl stuff.  The only thing is that you need to have it
>on a different machine because mod_proxy doesn't hack it on a win32
>machine.  I'm sure that you could do it with something other that
>apache+mod_proxy if you wanted to keep it all on one machine.
>
>Actually, I might have been having problems with mod_proxy because of
>problems in the tcp stack in SP4 that are now fixed in SP6.  So you
>might want to play around a little bit and see if it works.
>
>Question for the list -- are we still limited to a single interpretter
>thread with mod_perl on win32?

I believe that you are until the model completely changes under Apache
2.0... Until Unix Apache supports multi-threading, supporting it in windows
pre-2.0 is not quite such a high priority I suspect.

You should consider using ActiveState's PerlEx. Yes, it's commercial but
development is free and the commercial license is not going to break any
budgets (I think less than US$1000). The downside is that it's only an
Apache::Registry clone. But if all you need is Perl spedup, it's a nice
solution. THe plus is getting support from ActiveState. They compile all
the Win32 modules so if you run into a multithreaded problem with a module
then they can try hammering on it or even work on fixing it.

In fact, I dare say that ActiveState has probably caused a lot of
multithreaded module legwork to be done before mod_perl moves to that model
which is a good thing. Since most modules will have already been fairly
debugged when Apache/mod_perl 2.0 are out.

>Ian
>

>On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, siberian wrote:
>
> > I know I get a lot when I use a lightweight proxy in front of my modperl
> > servers under UNIX but how about under Win32? Since it uses a different
> > model does a
> > reverse proxy really give you that warm and fuzzy feeling or does it just
> > become another layer between the system and the user?
> >
> > I am fairly ignorant of the way Win32 does its threading etc so I ask.
> >
> > Thanks for any input
> >
> > John Armstrong

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
eXtropia - The Web Technology Company