I was basing that on discussions on the mod_gzip list and the following
(from the mod_gzip code)

     * 5. Many browsers ( such as Netscape 4.75 for UNIX ) are unable
     *    to handle Content-encoding only for specific kinds of HTML
     *    transactions such as Style Sheets even though the browser
     *    says it is HTTP 1.1 compliant and is suppying the standard
     *    'Accept-encoding: gzip' field. According to the IETF
     *    specifications any user-agent that says it can accept
     *    encodings should be able to do so for all types of HTML
     *    transactions but this is simply not the current reality.
     *    Some will, some won't... even if they say they can.

I don't have any first hand experience with it, though...

--Geoff