The foibles of IE and the Win OSes has proven to be beyond me :-(

Thanks to those that offered various solutions, each worked but not on all
combinations of IE version and Win version.

My solution, in the end, has been to generate the PDF to a temporary file,
in the document tree and issue a 'Location:' header back to the browser.
This seems to work in all cases and I clean up the temporary files with a
cron job every hour. Not as elligant a solution as generating data directly
back to the browser but it is better to have something that works.

In one response, it was mentioned that the header 'Window-target:' doesn't
work with IE either, which I was also trying to use.  Other than using
JScript in the calling page, is there anyway to do this with IE that works.

--
Glen Eustace, Systems Engineer - Networking.
Information Technology Services, Turitea, Massey University, Palmerston