* Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [001213 19:50]:

> Well, for me we do Java because I know that there are a couple drivers.
>
> 1) I do know of situations were Java is a better/easier tool.
> 2) For us its not about what is sexy, but what will sell. By the time we
> talk to a company, the debate of Perl vs Java is over and they've already
> spent the money on Java infrastructure or training their guys on Java.
> There is very little commercial benefit for us to tout the benefits of Perl.

<me-too>yep</me-too>

> One of the things I said earlier is that I think that the time it takes a
> good Java guy to develop something vs a good Perl guy seems to be about
> equal in terms of our real experiences (with Java being a bit longer).

I think a *really* good Perl person can be faster, but that's just a
gut instinct. Most of us mortals don't qualify.

> And then when it comes to maintenance (handover) the IT staff of the places
> we deal with are already trained in Java.

This is huge, and the toughest thing to do anything about. Look how
much money (marketing, conferences, magazines, arm-twisting, etc.) it
took for Sun to get on the radar at large corporations, away from (or
in addition to) various other languages. Not that money is the only
thing -- I think Java is a pretty nice language, which helps
acceptance -- but it's a HUGE effort.

> So I guess it's a matter of degree. I simply do love Perl, but I don't hate
> Java, I just merely really like it. I guess you could say I cheat on my
> Perl gf all the time. :) But unlike in life, I don't think a monogamous
> relationship with my language is actually very healthy.

LOL!

> I think Chris' views may be similar.

Yep, we basically said the same thing -- although mine was a little
more disjointed and less complete :-)

Chris

--
Chris Winters ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988.