I did try thttpd.

As I understood it, and I did send an email to acmesoftware to ask
but got no reply, thttpd does not handle keep-alive, and indeed
users complained that images "came in slowly". I also observed this.
I'm happy to be corrected, maybe I picked up the wrong version or
did not study the source carefully enough. I could not find any
config variables relating to keep-alive either..

I found some benchmarks which showed mathopd and thttpd similar in
speed. Only linux kernel httpd can do better than either.. but
request rates per second of 1000+ is of academic interest only..

-Justin

--
Justin Beech                      http://www.dslreports.com
Phone:212-269-7052 x252             FAX inbox: 212-937-3800