Hello mod_perl gurus,

I have the following:
RHL 7.0 (linux 2.2.16)
Apache 1.3.14
mod_perl.1.24_01
Perl 5.6.0
and an upgraded glibc to version 2.96-69

I followed the "installation in 10 Lines" instructions, with one
amendment:
% cd /usr/src
             % lwp-download
http://www.apache.org/dist/apache_x.x.x.tar.gz
             % lwp-download
http://perl.apache.org/dist/mod_perl-x.xx.tar.gz
             % tar xzvf apache_x.x.x.tar.gz
             % tar xzvf mod_perl-x.xx.tar.gz
             % cd mod_perl-x.xx
             % perl Makefile.PL   (RIGHT HERE I ADDED A "CONFIGURED FOR
MY SITE" SET OF ARGUMENTS
                                        SUPPLIED BY MY COMRADE 73, Ged)
If you should need that argument list, I can supply it.
             % make
             % make test
             % make install
             % cd ../apache_x.x.x
             % make install

and ....drum roll please.... the make test and make install worked!!!
IT WORKED!!!  I did NOT receive an error 29 on line 27 in modules/src.t
.  The last thing I did that seems to have cured the error was to apply
the gcc-2.96-69.src.rpm .   (A thank you to kind souls that helped me
come this far!)

However, I now have a new error when I run ../bin/apachectl configtest
from the /usr/local/apache/conf directory.  (Is it possible that because
of the supplied arguments in the perl Makefile.pl that I now have to run
this from a new directory?  I have some new
directories--httpd_perl/conf, httpd_perl/logs, ... proxy, and .... run
but I don't believe I HAVE to start apache from these directories).

Invalid command 'Order' on line 333 in httpd.conf.

The first instance of 'Order' is in this segment of code, generated by
the install routine (i.e. the default) and the error is occurring with
this instance.
------------------------------
<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options",
"FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
    AllowOverride None
#
#
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>
This is in the default file and I have not dinked with this section of
the httpd.conf file.  Shouldn't this work?  What am I doing wrong .....
now?   Some fly in the ointment unbenounced to me?

TIA
Andrew Lietzow
(Now almost losing site of the original objective....)