Got it.  So far, everything appears to be working like a dream.  Here's the
changes I made:

# OLD and BREAKY

        Location => {
                '/' => {
                        SetHandler => 'perl-script',
                        PerlInitHandler => 'Apache::StatINC',
                        PerlHandler => 'Reckoning::IndexHandler::members',

                        AuthName => 'theReckoning',
                        AuthType => 'Basic',
                        Limit => {
                                'GET POST' => {
                                        require => 'valid-user',
                                },
                        },
                },
        },

# SHINY and NEW

        Location => {
                '/' => {
                        SetHandler => 'perl-script',
                        PerlInitHandler => 'Apache::StatINC',
                        PerlHandler => 'Reckoning::IndexHandler::members',
                        AuthName => qw( theReckoning ),
                        AuthType => 'Basic',
                        require => 'valid-user',
                },
        },

Now, if you want to use the LIMIT directive for something, then I'm not sure
how to get that to work... I realized that I didn't really need it, yanked
it, and all is well.