I spent two days trying to make my "virtual document" PerlHandler work
from various locations, which I had thought to be really easy, by simply
looking at the path_info to determine what virtual document to bring up.

No go.

In just about every cases that I could do, I have $r->path_info
identical to $r->uri!

I freaked out after a while, thinking I must have been doing something
wrong here, so I downloaded the Apache::TreeBrowser module from the
modperl.com site, installed it as the sole handler in my server (no
translation handler or *anything* else). I installed it just like in the
Eagle book.

Where on http://www.modperl.com/tree/ I see this:

URI = /tree/
Path information =/

On my server (http://foobar/virtual) I see this:

URL = /virtual
Path information =/virtual

What the heck??? I was expecting path_info to be blank there, then
getting a redirect to /virtual/ (and having just a slash in there).

I think that I know what I might be doing wrong though: I'm running
Apache 1.3.14 and mod_perl 1.24_01 from the Red Hat "RawHide", on a Red
Hat Linux 7.0. 1.24_01 is a development version, right? :-)

In any case, this might be a problem developers might want to hear
about...

--
Pierre Phaneuf
http://www3.sympatico.ca/pphaneuf/