One could handle this all in one request with an HTML layer controlled by
JavaScript that performs counting for the user. This is better that multiple
requests because you don't have to try starting processing in one HTTP
request and giving the result to another HTTP request. Run everything in one
request and life is simpler.

For an example of something I have working go to
http://www.drh.net/site/domain/new.shtml
and then search for a domain.

The box that pops up before the page has fully loaded is a layer. View the
source to see the JavaScript code controlling the layer. Replace my
machinery to perform a count in the layer with a simple animated gif if you
like.

I don't have any public examples that show how it works when the page takes
a while to load. Those are all on the internal website.

Here is the code:
http://www.davideous.com/misc/Fusion-Countdown.pm

This code not supported. This is the basic idea: take it and run.

David Harris
President, DRH Internet Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.drh.net/