In a private email someone mentioned that removing the \ before the $ might
make the messages more meaningful.  That code was copy and pasted from the
current guide so if it should be $ and no \$ in front of UNIVERSAL then Stas
might want to know :^)

I changed it out and now it appears that it is all the DESTROY calls that
are making its way to the error log.  Should these be trapped some where
else?
I still don't think this has anything to do with my memory being consumed,
but I thought it seemed odd that so many things were called with no defined
sub.

Aaron Johnson