Matthew Kennedy wrote:

> I'm on several postgresql mailing lists and couldn't find a recent post
> from you complaining about 6.5.3 performance problems (not even by an
> archive search). Your benchmark is worthless until you try postgresql
> 7.1. There have been two major releases of postgresql since 6.5.x (ie.
> 7.0 and 7.1) and several minor ones over a total of 2-3 years. It's no
> secret that they have tremendous performance improvements over 6.5.x. So
> why did you benchmark 6.5.x?
>
> This is a good comparison of MySQL and PostgreSQL 7.0:
>
> "Open Source Databases: As The Tables Turn" --
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3
>
> > We haven't tried this one. We are doing a project on mysql. Our preliminary
>assessment is, it's a shocker. They justify not having commit and rollback!! Makes us
>think whether they are even lower end than MS-Access.
>
> Again, checkout PostgreSQL 7.1 -- I believe "commit" and "rollback" (as
> you put it) are available. BTW, I would like to see that comment about
> MS-Access posted to pgsql-general... I dare ya. :P
>
> Matthew

You can scale any of these databases; Oracle, MySQL or PostgreSQL, but please research
each one thoroughly and tune it properly before you do your benchmarking.  And, again,
MySQL does support transactions now. Such chutzpah for them to have promoted an "atomic
operations" paradigm for so long without supporting transactions! But that discussion
is moot now.

Please be advised that MySQL is threaded and must be tuned properly to handle many
concurrent users on Linux. See the docs at http://www.mysql.com  The author of the PHP
Builder column did not do his research, so his results for MySQL on Linux are way off.
Happily, though, even he got some decent results from PostgreSQL 7.0.

The kernel of wisdom here:  If you are going to use one of the Open Source databases,
please use
the latest stable release (they improve quickly!) and please either hire someone with
some expertise installing and administering, and tuning your database of choice on
your platform of choice or do the research thoroughly yourself.

Ed