On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> I've tried that, but last time I went with more general
> classes of exceptions containing unique error IDs
> (defined in a constants module) to indicate the exact
> type.  Not as Java-like, but it did save me from
> creating dozens of classes with no unique properties
> except their names.

yeah. the only really cool thing about having separate
exception classes is that they can add their own methods.
sometimes that's useful.

> I suppose it's a matter of debate whether or not bad
> user input should be handled with exceptions at all, but

i prefer them cos then i can have lots of methods with "void
return type". then i can call lots of methods in a single
eval black and never have to check any return values. just a
stylistic preference i guess.