I can't follow this test case.  Your previous message had a test case,
but it was way too big.  Can you whittle this down into the smallest
possible program that demonstrates something you don't understand, and
post that?  My guess is that you'll figure out the problem in the
process, but if not, post it here.

By the way, I don't think you mean $My::Debacle::handler{CODE}.  If you
look closely, you'll see that it's just a regular hash entry.  I think
you mean *{$My::Debacle::{handler}}{CODE}.  That's the CODE component of
a symbol table entry.

If you have "Effective Perl Programming", look on page 239.

I know this stuff is hard to spot when you've been banging your head
against it for days.  For that, I recommend "Zen and the Art of
Motorcycle Maintenance".

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (will trillich) wrote:
>okay, here was the problem.
>
>    package My::Debacle;
>
>    sub search {
>        # ....
>        {
>            use CGI qw/:standard/;
>            my $form = join '',
>                map {
>                    hidden(
>                        -name => $_,
>                        -value => $arg->{$_},
>                        ) . "\n"
>                }
>                grep(
>                    $arg->{$_} and ($_ ne 'd') and ($_ ne 'go')
>                , keys %$arg
>                )
>            ;
>            # ....
>        }
>        # ....
>    }
>
>    sub this { # ...
>    }
>    sub that { # ...
>    }
>    sub something_else { # ...
>    }
>    sub whatever_the_hell { # ...
>    }
>    sub handler { # ...
>    }
>
>can you spot the problem?
>
>with that, poof! $My::Debacle::handler{CODE} doesn't exist.
>WHY?
>
>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/newbiedoc -- we need your brain!
>http://www.dontUthink.com/ -- your brain needs us!

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            The Math Forum